Featuring Digital PhotoArt of Rainbow Creek
by: brendasue







The Birds of Rainbow Creek

The Birds of Rainbow Creek
by: brendasue of Kates Cabin Bird Sanctuary in Waller County, Texas

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Birding With The Birders In RoseHill, Texas at Kleb Woods by brendasue


Welcome to Everyone in the World!  Come on in for a quick Nature Study on Spring Migration Birds Crossing Texas Now.

All of my Blogger Friends Go Places and Share Their Travels.

I usually just go out the door and photograph what I have built here at the Bird Sanctuary. I have created an enviroment here at Kates Cabin on Rainbow Creek to be everything birds love.  One of our friends of the site here suggested the Kleb Woods in Rosehill was a normal rest stop for the migrating birds and that every wednesday this month, Birders were meeting to document their sightings and dates of the sightings to help map the migration. I thought about going as this is only about 45 minutes away from Rainbow Creek, but when I saw the Slideshows Mark sent in to share with all of us, I knew I had to go.
I have become fearful of driving the car, so I have not gone any further than I had to since Dec. (It was a car accident that abruptly changed my life and took away my contractor/companion last Dec.)
Our Photostudy today will be on My Trip (Part One). I did it!  I overcame all obstacles and drove a long distance for me. My rewards were worth it. Enjoy!


BTW (by the way)  in the opening photo that is Tomahawk (rambo's mate)  in the dead treetop. I had just left the cabin to go to the lake lot and I guess he got mad. He flew over my car to this tree and started squawking. So I will let him open the class today!





Let The Class Begin!




Here is the Parking Lot at Kleb Woods and the begininng of the path that leads to the Woods.
It was here I saw some Birders who said yes this was the way.
The kind Gentleman pointed out that way over by the stop sign in the above photo, is a small bush.
By the base of the bush we could see several of the bright blue Indigo Buntings.
I watched as someone walked over with a bag of seed and scattered some more seed by the bush.
Then we went down the path to meet up with others.




While everyone was gathering, I was off looking at stuff everywhere. These are original buildings of the property that was in the Kleb Family since the 1800's. There were gardens and trees everywhere and everything was beautiful.



This was my favorite photo of the day.  I had never seen the bloom of this tree before.
It is a Black Locust Tree in the early morning sunlight.




This is the edge of the Woods. There are paths cut through the woods with nice boardwalks for the hikers to use. These woods are in what is called the Post Oak Savannah of South Texas. I am in the same sort of woods with all these same trees on Rainbow Creek. Here there are more pine trees mixed in.

These Kleb Woods are surrrounded by developed community of Rosehill on Fm 2920. The Park is maintained by Harris County so it is open to the public and free.




This was a cool structure of Cedar Posts.




Here was the group of birders I got to meet.  Hello Everyone!  Mark was not here that day, I thank him for telling me of this place.
I left the group and ventured out to explore the woods. Not too many birds on the inside that I saw, other than the ones that live there.




After hiking quite awhile, I returned to this spot where we had first seen the little blue birds. Everyone had great cameras that could get a shot a long way from the birds. I do not, so I walked over to the left of that jeep and sat down by the bigger bush to get close enough to get a shot.  As I suspected, the birds returned to eat the seed once they saw I was not a threat.  I was able to get a few shots to bring to you of these birds I only get to see once a year.




This is what my far away shot looked like! That is a blue jay.  But behind him to the left is a blue dot and that is the indigo bunting!  (Good thing I was able to get closer!))




They are very shy, but he is checking me out.





They hide in this little bush which appears to be their favorite, a yaupon holly.






They are very small.  He is hiding behind blades of grass.







And then, there were two.






Look how fat they are!  These birds have no doubt learned every stop on their migration where humans put out the yummy sunflower seeds they love.  If they were afraid of me, they would not have appeared before me. Birds are smart. They have come to count on the kindness of humans.
I wonder if they know how famous they are and how many people come to see them on their trip?



Hiding away in plain sight!






They are so very Blue!






He is watching me!






And out he comes for another bite.







I think the one with brown spots is a baby that has not finished turning blue.






We see you!






And then there were four!





They travel in these small groups.







And then there were 5 boys and one girl!








This concludes our photostudy for today.



Goodnight Kate and Goodnight All
Goodnight to the little birds,too.


I will not be posting again until Monday.  Some guests are coming to stay in Kates Cabin for the weekend. They want me to cook for them also, so I will be putting on the chef hat. I cook whatever the guest want or some want to be surprised. I also put the groceries they order in the cabin. So a good time will be had by all.
Rebecca and I also do private luncheons, so keep us in mind if you ever want to travel to this part of Texas.



.....this is brendasue signing off from Rainbow Creek.  Happy Birding!


I leave you with one more surprise that Mark sent in of the migrating birds coming to his patio!
(Thank You, Mark and I look forward to meeting you one day)
Click on the word Here below (must be on blogger site)






Today I added Painted Buntings to the couch series: HERE





Sincerely

Mark McLafferty




 


1 comment: