Featuring Digital PhotoArt of Rainbow Creek
by: brendasue







The Birds of Rainbow Creek

The Birds of Rainbow Creek
by: brendasue of Kates Cabin Bird Sanctuary in Waller County, Texas

Sunday, July 25, 2010

If You Have The Time, I Have Gold and Dragons by: brendasue

Welcome to Everyone-Come on In
Easy Nature Class Today!








Here in Texas, we are just about half way through the hot season. True to form, it has been hot. We have had some good rain, so no drought conditions so far this year. One of the joys I have on really hot days is watching the dragonflies zooming around the Rainbow Creek. They come in all colors, but here I mostly see blue or brown. I have seen a bright red one, but have no photo (yet). I invite you to share some of your dragonfly photos here. (send them to: katescabin@gmail.com and I will display them here).






Let The Class Begin!










I was afraid of these as a child because of the word 'dragon' in their name. Not that I really knew what a dragon was, but in my mind it was something really bad.  Dragonflies, therefore, must be really bad and they must bite and sting.









I want to correct this wrong thinking now 50 years later.  Dragonflies have nothing to do with Dragons (real or imagined).
They do not bite and they do not sting. Mostly they stay away from people. I was stupid to believe the wrong information I was given about bugs from parents, teachers and peers who passed on their disgust of insects. I encourage all of you to learn things for yourself and stop being afraid of insects.






This one is on a blade of grass looking out over the water.






Check out his balancing act!  Do you know what would happen if I tried to perch on a blade of grass?   That's right, I would be in the lake and the blade of grass, smashed.








This one is sunning on a piece of wood.












Check out that Green Head!  How would You like to be green?







Around the top of the community swimming pool is barbed wire. All the dragonflys that perch on this wire, hold the position of the one above.  I guess they try to look like a barb on the wire!









This is how I see most of them, landing on little branches.











Wow!  What big, blue eyes you have!










Are You an Alien or do you live on Earth?











I see You like my red wheelbarrow. It looks nice with Your blue color.




Can You see me now?   You are too cute and too blue!








That concludes our dragonfly photostudy. Please teach the children to like bugs and other living things. We must quit passing on ideas of disgust toward other living things on this planet. In the big picture, human beings are just as small as dragonflies!
And in this big picture above, I bring you last night's full moon on the rise, the golden moments reflected light from the setting sun.


















Wow!  What a big, beautiful, golden moon.  We have one moon that orbits planet Earth, and this is it!







Let me just go ahead and correct a couple of more myths for my grandchildren and I am sorry I taught my children these concepts. (Who knew?)
1.  There is no man in the moon.
2.  There is no cow that could jump over the moon.
3.  The moon is not made of swiss cheese or cheddar cheese.
4.  The dark side of the moon is not where the vampires live and they will not come get you if you are bad. (Sorry, but this really worked well).
5.  There is no such thing as a 'lovers' moon.
6.  There really is a blue moon when strange things happen!





Behold the Gold!  Goodnight Everybody.  Goodnight Moon.







Goodbye Benny, we must all fly away one day.    See you soon.


......this is brendasue signing off from Rainbow Creek.






katescabin@gmail.com






+

No comments:

Post a Comment