Featuring Digital PhotoArt of Rainbow Creek
by: brendasue







The Birds of Rainbow Creek

The Birds of Rainbow Creek
by: brendasue of Kates Cabin Bird Sanctuary in Waller County, Texas

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Snow at Kate's Cabin on Rainbow Creek Bird Sanctuary

Rare Texas Snow Storm comes to Kate's Cabin on Rainbow Creek Bird Sanctuary!
My photo: "Berries in the Snow" is featured in the month of December in the new 2010 Houston Chronicle's Garden Calendar (available at Houstongrows.com). I thought at the time of notification of the win, 'how weird to win with a snow picture.' Living in Texas close to the gulf coast, I have no experiences in the snow with the camera except one: The 20 pictures I shot last year on December 10, 2009! I am almost 60 and remember only 5 or 6 times I have seen snow here at all. Yet, here it is again this year on December 4 (earliest snowstorm ever). Most people in the world who live with snow would think my elation over snow is a bit nuts. However, if you saw the headline news about the rare snowstorm in Texas, you would notice that all of southeast Texas shutdown. Schools were closed, downtown Houston offices closed, roads were closed. Grown men were running out to play in the snow like children!
Well, the sanctuary did not close for the birds! They were eating as usual and didn't seem to be bothered at all by the fluffy flakes. The water in the bird baths did freeze-I saw one little bird ice skating across the top!
All in all, the cold & snow are just seasonal reminders that Christmas is Coming to Kate's and everywhere! I have some great bird and all nature photos for sale. For more information, contact me at: katescabin@gmail.com
I would like to thank The Rev. Dr. Cynthia Forde for setting up this blog for me and writing the introduction. She especially loves the book I have for sale on the summer hummingbirds here at Kate's Cabin. Merry Christmas to All!

No comments:

Post a Comment