Featuring Digital PhotoArt of Rainbow Creek
by: brendasue







The Birds of Rainbow Creek

The Birds of Rainbow Creek
by: brendasue of Kates Cabin Bird Sanctuary in Waller County, Texas

Monday, December 28, 2009

Most Thrilling Bed Partner of the Year Announced by brendasue At Kates Cabin on Rainbow Creek, A Bird Sanctuary in Waller County, Texas

ALL THE LEAVES ARE DOWN AT KATES CABIN ON RAINBOW CREEK, A BIRD SANCTUARY IN THE WOODS OF NORTHERN WALLER COUNTY, TEXAS.
It is a time for reflection of events in 2009 that were memorable. My mind lands on the most thrilling, heart pounding, exciting Bed Partner of 2009 for me that occurred this past Summer.

You must remember I live in the woods-No cars, no people. My cabin is more like a big tent with the windows usually open. (I took the screens off for better photos out my window.) Anyway, this one night last summer, I had my window by the bed open as it is my favorite thing to listen to the frogs and crickets on the creek throughout the night. I woke early in the morning while it was still dark out and half dreamily rolled over and draped my hand on a soft ball of fluffy fur. I convinced my self it was the cat, but then my self said: We don't have a cat! Being frozen with fear and heart pounding, I could not bring self to open eyes and look until I tried to size up the situation. Whatever he was, he was breathing under my hand and snoring next to my ear.
I could feel the red bone hound dog on my feet at the end of the bed, sleeping and snoring. I could hear the other 3 hound dogs snoring on the floor. Having determined that whatever was next to me was some sort of alien being, things could go from calm to chaos in a brief second if the hound dogs woke up! Slowly I opened one eye to be face to face with the snoring pink snout of a possum baby curled up on my pillow!

The situation demanded immediate ejection from my bed, yet I could not Move. My heart was in my throat as I imagined the headlines: Grandma killed by Alien Bed Partner!
I slowly withdrew my hand off of Fluffy and slithered carefully out of bed without waking any body. I was able to get the 3 dogs on the floor out the back door with no knowledge of the intruder. However, as I gently tried to wake the red bone, her bloodhound nose went into motion before her eyes even opened. She sprang straight up off the bed into a direct launch toward the Alien Intruder. Kill was in her eyes and her teeth were bared to chomp up little Fluffy who went diving down the bed between the mattress and wall surely with thoughts of impending doom. I caught the red bone in mid air and carried her out back where the whole world was alerted to this attack on Rainbow Creek at 5:30 in the morning.
I removed the comforter and sheets, then the mattress, then the bed spring to reveal a very scared baby Possum clinging to the bed railing. I was able to move him with a broomstick into a cardboard box. I just pushed the box across the floor to the back door as Fluffy enjoyed a sleigh ride!
I took this photo as I knew people would not believe this. As I stood in my kitchen gazing out the window and reflecting on the events of this morning, I realized this was probably the most thrilling bed partner of my life. That's why Fluffy Wins the Award this year of Brendasue's most exciting Bed Partner of 2009!


Moving on to nicer reflections of the past year, I really enjoyed the visit of the Hummingbirds this year. In our second year, over 200 came. The above photo was my personal favorite of the year. It was submitted to the Houston Chronicle's online Garden Gallery this summer in Honor and Tribute to MaNature, Ms Janet Higgs, who left us this year. As my dear friend she inspired me to go forward with my work in documenting the creatures of Kate's Cabin on Rainbow Creek.
This photo (Titled: Janet) has been entered into the Sony World Photography Awards Competition in Cannes, France with 2 other favorite Summer Hummer Photos






My Summer Souvenir Book of Hummers, "The Birds of Summer At Kates Cabin on Rainbow Creek 2009" Is now Available for a Donation to Help Feed Our Birds.
You can contact Brendasue at: katescabin@gmail.com or
Brendasue Watson At Kates Cabin, P O Box 743, Hempstead, Texas 77445
You can also request information on the Camp Cabin Accommodations here on Rainbow Creek, A quiet, secluded, peaceful Nature Retreat and Bird Sanctuary in which to study Birds and the Nature of the Area-----Unless there is a Baby Possum Alien, then things get Crazy!

To Remember our Birds of Summer on this cold Winter Day, I have put another video for you.
Enjoy=brendasue

No comments:

Post a Comment